Emergency No : 0172-4008070 | Hotline No : 9876405771

Is Alcohol and Drug Addiction Genetic

Posted December 21, 2018 in Addiction, By admin

When it comes to either alcohol or drug addiction, it is due to 50% of genetic reasons and 50% of individual reasons. Numerous studies conducted on this topic have confirmed this. There was a study conducted where 861 twin pairs and 653 nonidentical twin pairs were engaged. If was found that when one of the two identical twin pairs got addiction, the other one has high chances of being addicted.

On the other hand, when it came to the non-identical twins when one got addicted, the other one didn’t necessarily fall for it. Based on different studies, it has been concluded by the experts that almost 60% of addiction occurs due to genetic reasons. The remaining 40% occurs due to the coping skills of an individual when they fail to deal with stress or other types of emotions.

It has been found that the children of the addicts are most likely to develop an addiction. As a matter of fact, the chance of addiction is 8 times more compared to others.

What is Family History?

Most people are not aware of their family history when it comes to addiction. Addiction is a topic which is avoided in most of the families, even if there is someone who is suffering from addiction, the rest of the family members would like to keep quiet about it. What has family history to do with your addiction? Well, if you have grown up watching any of your family members drink on a regular basis; in that case, you would start getting attracted towards it. This is a very common phenomenon. Besides, the genes also play an important role here.

If you are a parent and you are addicted, in that case, you mustn’t allow your genes to get the better of your child. Talk to them and make them aware of the consequences of addiction. Tell them that it could have a devastating effect on them. You need to counsel them and educate them. Share your experience and make them realize the reality

Is Addiction a Disease?

There is one thing that needs to be kept in mind. It is the fact that addiction is not a weakness. However, it is a disease. Those who are not aware of it would advise you to be stronger in order to avoid addiction and control your urges. It is a common notion that those who are unsuccessful in life or suffer from extreme anxiety and stress get addicted to alcohol or drugs. However, this is not true.

A recent study has shown that in America, nearly 17% of the addicted people belongs to the successful category and are from a good socio-economic background.

If you think addiction to be a weakness, in that case, you will be never able to come out of it and it will keep on cornering you. Instead what you need to do is to seek professional help. There are many rehab centers around that would give you proper medical treatment and will help you to come out of the addiction. Despite the fact that it has a lot to do with genetic factors you can certainly come out of it.

Share this: